Thursday 23 January 2014

Module 1 - Activity 1

Activity 1 required reflection on my development as a teacher.  

In the past I have taught informally, usually no more than a small group of students at a time and perhaps most notably, within the framework of a paramilitary group.  At present, I am into my fourth school term as a secondary school teacher and it has been interesting and very challenging; so much to learn about teaching my subject (music) in public school, and so much to learn about teaching on a whole!

In reflecting on my first year, I knew that things were not going as well as I hoped so I sought the advice of more experienced teachers in my field on their approaches.  It was suggested that I incorporate more games as ways of immersing the students in the concepts being taught and reinforcing those concepts. Using these approaches in this past term, I was stunned by how the level of student engagement rose. I realized then, just how different my own learning style was from many of my students. In my own learning, I've loathed games and activities that forced me to be 'visible' in classes. I preferred lectures and explanations that examined the material from every which way so I could understand clearly. During this past term, I found some students that shared that approach, but most were only too happy to be learning through games, even the those students who were always 'trouble makers' before. In some instances, concepts were received with far less challenges than the previous year.


Incidentally, the module that we were doing as part of the ICT course during that term, was discussing the need to recognize that students come to us with different intelligences, experiences and learning styles that affect how they learn, and the need for us to take that into consideration at the planning phase and throughout the learning process when we teach, assess and make new decisions on what courses of action to take. So, I believe the last term has been very beneficial in colouring my outlook on delivery.
A common theme among the other group participants in this course is that of seeing things from the students' perspectives, i.e. understand the cultural background, socialization etc of the students as this helps guide the teacher on how this affects their learning and how interactions can be fostered to relate material to the students.  Also, students bring knowledge and experience to the classroom, they are not empty vessels.  Students can even bring across concepts to other students in a way the teacher may not, thus helping the students to understand/relate to concepts even more.  In addition, students can become more enthusiastic and organized if they are given various tasks in the day to day operation of the classroom.
There is a lot to learn yet.  Observing other teachers, researching methods, and thinking critically about the differences in the student makeup, can help me to better meet my students' needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment