Tuesday 15 October 2013

Module 4 - Activity 2

This activity has exposed me to an array of things that can be assessed in learners.  Some of them I have been doing already, others I have never even thought of.  This array seems overwhelming to say the least.

Many institutions (and most of my own learning) focus on measuring output with an assigned grade that ought to reflect 'how much' a student has learned.  The system revolves around grades, hence, testing is often viewed as the legitimate assessment method.  Most often, such testing is either written or oral and may involve some group work.

In looking at the list of things brainstormed by my colleagues, I recognize a number of things that I do 'assess' in my students like; how well they work with their peers; are they applying strong thinking skills; are they self-motivated; and so on.  However, I never really perceived these areas to be actual assessment.  Having been socialized in a system that revolves around grades, if I assess without a grade being affixed, it appears as if no assessment has been done.

One of the main challenges for me going forward, would be finding ways to meaningfully incorporate some of the assessment areas identified.  As the module progresses, I hope to garner more information in that regard.  Further, a true appreciation of how these assessment areas factor into the wider teaching/learning relationship, would help me to legitimize them in my own mind and use the information gathered to better foster that relationship.

The question still remains, how do I translate these assessments into a measurable dimension since the system is hungry for grades?  Maybe, through this wider array of assessment, the place of tests remain secure and they will still readily provide the summative data required to sate the system.  Maybe this wider array of assessment areas really targets the process of learning, which, at the end of the day, takes students towards the learning outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment